Railway Minister Piyush Goyal on Thursday asked the Railway Board to divert rails marked for construction of new lines to stretches prone to accidents and where replacement was due.
He also directed the board officials to expedite procurement of new rails to complete laying of tracks in pending projects and eliminate unmanned level crossings within a year.
Chairing a meeting with top Railway Board officials, the minister asked them to take up track replacement and renewal on a priority.
During the meeting, two major causes leading to accidents were identified. They were unmanned level crossings and derailments due to defects in tracks.
The special focus of the meeting was to identify measures to reduce accidents due to derailments which has emerged as one of the major causes of Train accidents.
Minister of Railways gave following directions to the Railway Board to ensure Safety in train operations:
1) All unmanned level crossings should be eliminated expeditiously on the entire Indian Railway network in a year’s time from now.
2) Track Replacement/renewal should be accorded Priority & the tracks (rails) earmarked for use for constructing new lines should be diverted to places/ stretches which are prone to accidents & where replacement is due.
3) The procurement of new rails should be expedited on a large scale with a view to complete construction of new lines in time.
4) The manufacturing of conventional ICF design coaches should be stopped forthwith & new design LHB coaches only should be manufactured.
5) Anti-Fog LED lights should be installed in Locomotives so that unhindered safe train operations can be ensured during fog season.
The Minister directed the Railway Board to monitor implementations of this action plan on a regular basis.